Wednesday, September 8, 2010

September 8th, 2010 - Petersburg, Alaska




Well, as I sit here outside Kito's Cave, the sun beats down on my all-black uniform and backpack, warming me like - gasp - a summer day! For the last two days we've had amazingly calm and sunny weather, and we're all hoping it keeps lasting all the way back to Seattle. We get back on the morning of the 17th for a 24-hour period, then back out through the locks for a week-long trip up into British Columbia and back on the 25th for good. On a different note, I've been obsessing over helicopters lately, the theory behind their various mechanics, manufacutrers, flight schools and costs, toy helicopters (just bought my first counter-rotor copter in the kids section of Hammer and Wikan), and anything else relating to them. I've got pages of my journal devoted to Bernoulli's law and the effects of torque and anti-torque, rotor hubs and swashplates, fixed vs. hinged rotors, and all sorts of other interesting specifics unique to helicopters. Whee! If any of you iPhone folks are wondering how to spend some cash, check out the AR quad-copter, which your iPhone can control via it's tilt controls, and it has wireless video feedback! Anywho, yesterday we got some neat Dall's Porpoise to come by the boat, and above I've attached some photos of them.

Cheers,

Danny

No comments: